Tidewell Hospice has been accepted as a United States of America Vietnam War Commemorative Partner, joining a team of more than 9,000 organizations dedicated to assisting the nation in thanking and honoring our 7.2 million living Vietnam veterans and the 9 million families of those who served.
The Vietnam War Commemorative Partner program will include activities and ceremonies to achieve the following objectives:
- To thank and honor veterans of the Vietnam War, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war (POW), or listed as missing in action (MIA), for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To highlight the service of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and the contributions of federal agencies and governmental and non-governmental organizations that served with, or in support of, the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contributions made on the home front by the people of the United States during the Vietnam War.
- To highlight the advances in technology, science and medicine related to military research conducted during the Vietnam War.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies of the United States during the Vietnam War.
Commemorative Partners commit to conducting two events or activities each year for a three-year period. They participate by planning and conducting events or activities that recognize Vietnam veterans and their families’ service and sacrifice.
The Tidewell Honors Veterans program has served more than 14,000 veterans in Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte and DeSoto counties since its inception in 2008. The purpose of the program is to respectfully celebrate veterans and their service to our country while providing care that recognizes the unique challenges that may exist in military families. Volunteer veterans conduct pinning ceremonies across Tidewell’s service area to thank veterans for their service.
Tidewell Honors Veterans is a Level Four partner of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s We Honor Veterans program and has been selected as one of 20 “all-star partners” invited to develop an advanced level of the We Honor Veterans program.