"Support, guidance and an array of services"
When the innocence of childhood is invaded by the harsh realities of advanced illness — either that of a child or a family member — special help is needed. Support, guidance and an array of services delivered by professionals can help you navigate the maze of difficulties that accompany the trauma of advanced illness in children.
The cruel truth is that children are not spared from advanced illness. Tidewell helps young patients live life to its fullest while providing pain management and symptom control. Hospice is about hope and life, and families are not required to forego aggressive treatment to receive support from Tidewell’s Children’s Services. Parents and children are continuously encouraged to seek joy in each day.
"Allowing children to remain at home in a comfortable environment"
Tidewell’s program helps minimize hospitalizations, allowing children to remain at home in a comfortable environment. Support is provided to those involved by helping them develop coping mechanisms to work through the many emotions that accompany advanced illness.
Through Tidewell Children’s Services, mechanisms are in place to help children cope with the illness and death of a loved one. Often, that assistance is delivered during the day at school and Tidewell’s designated grief counselors for each school district.
"Tidewell Children’s Services"
- Rapid response to calls for assistance 24/7
- Coordination with patients’ doctors and care team to ensure continuity of care
- Nursing assistance with management of pain and symptoms
- Assistance with day-to-day care
- Coping mechanisms to work through the emotions accompanying advanced illness
- Individual and family counseling
- Stress relief
- Spiritual support
- Art, music and play therapy
- Assistance and support for siblings adjusting to illness
- Identification of resources to meet family financial, emotional and spiritual needs
- Hands-on, individualized training in caring for patients’ needs
- Continue aggressive therapy to maximize treatment of disease
- Grief support for family, community
The often confusing reactions to death are difficult for the individual, and can also temporarily split family members at a time when they need mutual support. Tidewell grief specialists provide individual counseling support and work with families to allay emotional threats and add comfort through understanding. Grief specialists are also available to assist businesses, organizations and schools that need grief education and/or support.